My husband’s family recently experienced the loss of its patriarch, who was born in 1925. The original painting featured above was painted by his granddaughter, Elizabeth Meyer.
It boggles the mind when you think of the history and changes in the world since his birth:
- farming with horses and mules to GPS auto-steer farm equipment
- Telephones using a party-line system to cell phones with internet allowing constant contact with people all over the world
- Horse and wagons and Model T’s to cars that parallel park themselves
- No one had been to the moon in 1925 and now NASA has plans to colonize Mars
- Outhouses to private indoor plumbing with jacuzzi and whirlpool features
- Entertaining radio shows such as Fibber McGee & Molly to black & white television and really “living the dream” when a color television was purchased. Now we have Netflix, cable and satellite programs, as well as programs on dvd.
- Technology changes in weapons and aircraft used in warfare to utilizing unmanned drones
- Food primarily grown or raised on the farm to a multitude of products available at the store
- A large percentage of the United States engaged in farming to less than 2% of the current population
- Country school with one teacher for all eight grades to consolidation of several towns into one school district
- Polio and various epidemics to vaccines and treatments for a multitude of illnesses
This is the list I came up with, but maybe you could add some more.
The big question is: What changes will occur during the NEXT 88 years?