It just dawned on me that this is the first senior portrait season in many years that I haven’t photographed a Grant-Deuel High School football player. Even though the Grant-Deuel football program joined the neighboring Milbank, SD team last year, I still had a couple of Grant-Deuel jerseys because…those WERE the days!
Football brought so much excitement, anticipation, as well as the occasional let down, to the tiny town of Revillo, South Dakota.
- Friday Night Lights brought the community together to support and cheer on a current crop of players who spent many hours in the weight room to strengthen not only their bodies but their team, as well.
- The benefits of a team working together on the field, in the locker room and in daily life was a built in support system for the challenging times.
- Coffee shop conversations included the feats of the team, stats, playoffs and the possible trip to The Dome (Site of the SD state high school football championships ~ Vermillion, SD).
- Spectators needed to pack the car with several sweatshirts, blankets, mittens, rain gear, etc., to prepare for all kinds of weather.
- It was important to leave a vehicle at the spot you deemed as the supreme viewing location (so you could sit inside with the heater running) at the crack of dawn on game day.
- Cheerleaders rallied the fans during all kinds of inclement weather.
- …and the band played on.
So many changes….but life does go on, doesn’t it?